Installing on Solaris
 Nginx on Solaris
In general, installing on Solaris is the same as documented on the Install page.
 Some Tips
- Keep your
$PATHas minimal as possible while building (don't include things like
/opt/csw, etc.). This will help avoid weird dependency issues that may be difficult to track down at runtime.
- On Solaris,
LD_LIBRARY_PATHand friends are likely not YOUR friends. Avoid them like the plague when building, for your sanity and anyone who might have to clean up after you later.
- If you need/want to use (the now-defunct) GCCFSS, be sure you are using 4.3.3 due to earlier versions not supporting Intel atomics used by nginx, causing build failures. (You probably don't want to use GCCFSS on OpenSolaris/Illumos/Solaris 11, as the provided GCC should be reasonably sane.)
- If at all possible, use the
--with-*options to include the third-party stuff (such as OpenSSL and PCRE) instead of relying on the outdated Solaris-provided items. Don't use third-party binaries. Take the time to let nginx build what it needs. (See configuration notes below.)
- Use GNU make, not Solaris
make. It lives in
/usr/sfw/bin/gmakeon Solaris 10.
- If you're moving from Sun/Oracle's Apache, or just want permissions-compatibility with it, use
webservdas your user and group for nginx.
- On Solaris 10 and OpenSolaris, you'll probably use
sudoin the installation instructions. (Solaris 11 and illumos-based distributions use sudo, by default.)
 Configuration tips
- As stated above, use pristine sources for zlib/OpenSSL/PCRE on Solaris 10 or any other Solaris which has outdated versions. Assuming you keep your sources in
$HOME/src, nginx will be in
$HOME/src/nginx-x.y.zso you can do things like
--with-openssl=../openssl-z.y.xon the configure line. (Be sure to unpack the pristine sources first!)
- If you use
--prefix, everything related to nginx will end up installed under that prefix, making it easier to package and/or just deal with.
 A sample ./configure invocation
./configure \ --group=webservd \ --prefix=/opt/nginx \ --user=webservd \ --with-debug \ --with-http_addition_module \ --with-http_degradation_module \ --with-http_gzip_static_module \ --with-http_random_index_module \ --with-http_realip_module \ --with-http_ssl_module \ --with-http_sub_module \ --with-http_xslt_module \ --with-ipv6 \ --with-openssl=../openssl-1.0.0d \ --with-pcre=../pcre-8.12 \ --with-zlib=../zlib-1.2.5